Frontline social care workers in the following settings are eligible for both vaccines:
- residential care for children who are clinically vulnerable
- community care for persons at home (including housing support, care at home services and personal assistants)
- care homes/residential care settings for adults/older adults.
All staff working in any function (including catering staff, office staff etc) in care homes for older adults are also eligible for both vaccines.
The vaccine programme is targeted at those delivering direct care in these settings, whether employed by local authorities, private or third sector employers.
Scottish Care, the Coalition of Care and Support Providers in Scotland, the Care Inspectorate and the Scottish Social Services Council support this approach.
COVID-19 and flu
COVID-19 and flu are very infectious respiratory viruses and can be serious.
- Getting your vaccines is the best way to protect you from COVID-19 and flu.
- Being vaccinated can reduce your risk of needing hospital treatment or getting seriously ill from COVID-19 and flu.
- Vaccines boost your immunity so it’s important to get vaccines when offered them.
This year’s winter vaccine programme will deliver the COVID-19 and flu vaccines at the same time. All vaccines are tested for safety and effectiveness before use and their safety continues to be checked while in use.
Getting the vaccine
Vaccine appointment booking for frontline social care staff is open now. Appointments are available from 4 September.
You can book your vaccine appointment on the NHS Inform website www.nhsinform.scot/wintervaccines where you can also read more information on the vaccines.
If you cannot access the online portal, you can call the Vaccination Helpline on 0800 030 8013, Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm, 9am to 1pm on Saturdays and closed on Sundays.
Frontline social care staff can also drop in to any vaccination centre without an appointment, just turn up and tell them you are a frontline social care worker. Find details of your local health board area’s vaccination centres on the NHS Inform website.
The vaccines are safe, quick and free and we encourage all eligible staff to take up this opportunity to help protect themselves against COVID-19 and flu.